Thanks, Ben.  Unfortunately that setting won't work for us, because (a) we
don't have access to the server to set it, (b) we want to use GeoJSON, and
(c) we wouldn't want this setting to impact other layers (and in fact we
would like it to apply only to specific requests).

And yes, am aware we can request responses with no geometry, but in this
case we need to display the geometry.  That's actually the key problem - we
are requesting a large amount of geometry for display, and the requests are
very slow or failing completely because the response size is so large.