Why an awkward user experience? Can you not assemble the features on the client side? You could even make the requests in parallel if you do not mind the risk of saturating the server.

If you are visualising all the features on a map, WMS might be a better solution. Why do you need the geometries? Interaction? Could this be implemented with a WMS GetFeatureInfo and then a WFS GetFeature to get only the geometries you need?

Kind regards,
Ben.