That should work too - assuming that you are using SE 1.1 rather than SLD
1.0 - we'd need to see the top of the file to see which you have. The ttf
file just needs to be somewhere that Java can see it, so just installing it
as usual should be fine. You can check which fonts are available can be
done from the GeoServer Status page (click on the Full list of available
fonts
<http://localhost:9090/geoserver/web/wicket/bookmarkable/org.geoserver.web.admin.JVMFontsPage>
 link).

Ian