Just to check before I break out the debugger:

When you use JDBC Authentication can it allow any user you create in
GeoServer (which get written in  then tables) login in or does it only
allow the user used for the postgis connection (or other postgis users) to
log in?

It seems like this is a bug, but I may just be missing something (and I
think I'm not the only one
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/274834/geoserver-jdbc-user-group-services-problem
)

I'd be interested if any one is successfully using JDBC authentication in
the wild?

Cheers

Ian

--