Hi Alexandre,
    Thank you for your response.  My apologies for posting to the GeoServer list, but my previous efforts with the QGIS list didn't quite solve my problem.  Also, the NY site says they "publish [their TMS] using GeoServer."    In order to establish a new connection to the New York city WMS/WMTS map service, I need its URL.  It must be somewhere on the NY DoITT web site but I can't find it.  I'd be very grateful if someone can give it to me, or better yet, tell me where I can get the appropriate URL.
   Thank you.
      Steve