I know it is a QGis answer but I could mail him privately or let people know it
is sorted.

This is the GetCapabilities URL

https://maps.nyc.gov/wmts/1.0.0/?REQUEST=getcapabilities
<https://maps.nyc.gov/wmts/1.0.0/?REQUEST=getcapabilities>

Create a new WMTS connection in QGis, plonk that in the URL field and save it.
Opening the new connection shows lots of layers from 1924 to 2018

Russ