Just an update from our end, in case anyone runs into the same situation and is following this thread to find a solution...

We eventually realized that we had one workspace with one layer. The most complex part of their geoserver was their "style", which had a lot of different colors, fills, and such defined.

In a burst of sanity, we rebuilt the workspace by hand, taking some 20 minutes to do so, instead of continuing our "migration" attempt that had already cost us many hours of time.

Thanks for the many people helping us out.

Tim