Many thanks for your replies. This gives good food for thought.

Have a nice day,

Nicolas de Ville

On 18/05/2021 00:45, Humphries, Graham wrote:

We have set up Geoserver such that when an external request comes in, a basic authentication code is added to the request header by the web server. Similarly if the request is from an internal source a different basic authentication code as added to the request header.

This allows internal users to have access to different layers than external users without requiring the operator to add usernames and passwords to the request.

This has been working well for us where we only need to differentiate between internal and external users.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Graham H

*From:*Nicolas De Ville de Goyet [mailto:ndevi...@naturalsciences.be]
*Sent:* Monday, 17 May 2021 8:54 PM
*To:* GeoServer Mailing List List <geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
*Subject:* [Geoserver-users] Password-protected WMS

Dear all,

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to use an WMS with a password so only chosen users can access the layers on it.

In geoserver, I have one workspace (among others) which shall not be public. Its uses is only for internal colleagues who do not know much about geoserver and web-services; My goal would be to provide them a WMS link to the specific workspace they can add as a service in the Geonetwork map viewer.

I tried:

MYSERVER.be/geoserver/MYWORKSPACE/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&username=myusername&password=mypassword

It seems there are at least two problems. The WMS getcapabilities does not seems to accept limitation to a specific workspace and the user/password is not recognized. I understand the security of such method is quite limited (password written in clear) but given my context it is acceptable.

Does anyone knows if this is possible to do and how to do it?

Many thanks,

--
Nicolas de Ville
Belgian Marine Data Centre (BMDC)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.