We were having an issue with our wms images requiring basic authentication to load, and in the process of playing with that through the web gui we somehow managed to disable the ability to log into geoserver entirely.  I am sure we just need to enable geonodeAuthProvider in one of the config files.

Our geoserver.log file is giving us:

Error connecting to the GeoNode server for authentication purposes
org.springframework.security.authentication.ProviderNotFoundException: No AuthenticationProvider found for org.geonode.security.AnonymousGeoNodeAuthenticationToken

I have checked the data/security/auth/geonodeAuthProvider/config.xml file, and the URL there works for accessing the geonode.  (we locked ourselves out once by having a busted URL there).  We did unselect the default and geonodeauthprovider authentication on the workspace (I think that is what we did to make it so we could not authenticate).

To slightly confuse the matter, we have been trying to change everything over to SSL, so we have a bunch of minor changes to the various proxy settings, URLs, and the like.  So we may have changed something else somewhere.  (sigh)

Is there a nice page talking about the settings needed for normal authentication?   If we can log back into the geoserver webpage, we ought to be able to continue poking around from there.

    - Tim