Your message brings an understanding chuckle to my face...
The words authentication and simple are incompatible didn't you know?
Especially when you add more words like proxy and SSL.

Did you check the Catalina log files? System dependent but for me the log
is at: /opt/tomcat/latest/logs/catalina.out
This log gets really long so my troubleshooting trick is to delete it

systemctl stop tomcat

rm /opt/tomcat/latest/logs/catalina.out

nano /opt/tomcat/latest/conf/server.xmlsystemctl start tomcatsystemctl
status tomcatnano /opt/tomcat/latest/logs/catalina.out

They might provide more information. I would start troubleshooting at the
base system...what is your webhost? Apache Tomcat or nginx? Is that system
running correctly and accepting traffic? Is your SSL working? Then move up
the chain from there...

You say proxy and SSL changes. Have you restarted all the effected systems?
mainly your webhost?  Have you tried restarting your server.
"Hello, IT have you tried turning it off and on again?" I know . . . but  I
find that sometimes after SSL changes this "makes it work"

This might be useful for you:
https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode/issues/3175

I would guess you have looked through the docs?  Are your current settings
different from the default described here?
https://docs.geonode.org/en/master/advanced/components/index.html#ogc-server

Unfortunately I am not familiar with geoNode installation and how it
interacts with GeoServer.  But good luck. . . and now you will for at least
6 months remember to back up your server before making system level changes
;-).  definitely been there done that.

Vera