I am also proxying tomcat to Apache https to have a nice url without the
port, so from 8080 to 80 ( 442). For me, the global setting worked for the
proxy but I believe I could still go through tomcat (xxx:8080) prior to
closing the port. Might be a workaround.

If you can't get around it, geoserver is all just XML, you can write a bash
script to set the setting in your workspaces. Back up first 😂😂🤣.

I little curious why you need this though. My servers are headless Linux so
I can't test localhost unfortunately.

Vera