From: Frederic Leclercq <frederic.lecle...@vliz.be>
Sent: Saturday, 16 July 2022 12:13 AM
To: 'GeoServer Users' <geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Geoserver-users] (large) NetCDF in Geoserver

Note: External sender:

Hi all,

I'm trying to serve a NetCDF file (CF-compliant), however the shape is not as I
would expect. Well - the rationale is that the dataset isn't a true gridded
dataset and to prevent multiple unused cells it uses 'points' as a dimension.

The shape looks like this:

dimensions:
    points = 292332 ;
    string45 = 45 ;
    taxon = 10830 ;
variables:
    int Date(points) ;
    float lat(points) ;
    float lon(points) ;
    float crs ;
    char AphiaID(taxon, string45) ;
    char Taxon_Name(taxon, string45) ;
    byte Pres_abs(taxon, points) ;

I can't import this in Geoserver:

"Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable
to create envelope for this dataset
    at
org.geotools.imageio.netcdf.NetCDFImageReader.setInput(NetCDFImageReader.java:307)
    at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageReader.setInput(ImageReader.java:380)
    at
org.geotools.coverage.io.netcdf.NetCDFAccess.<init>(NetCDFAccess.java:119)
    ... 152 more"

Is it related to the taxon dimension which is basically non-numerical or should
points be reshaped in a time/lat/lon structure? (which will make this file very
very large, as the points have not that many lats/lons/dates in common)

On the other hand - points x taxon = 3165955560 values in the Pres_abs variable
- which is larger than 2^31-1 (and that is the maximum value for an array in a
java application) Before I dive into converting the points dimension to
lat/lon/time I would like to know if someone managed to serve a quite large
NetCDF into Geoserver.

Happy to read your ideas/help on this.

Thanks,
Fred.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used,
published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute
of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error
please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the
contents.