Hi all GeoServer admin users

I wonder if I can poll you to find out how you manage or copy your
GeoServer configurations between various environments like dev -> staging
-> production?

We make use of JNDI to extract the database credentials out of the
GeoServer data directory and into the Tomcat container.
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/database/jndi.html

We can make use of setting certain parameters like the data directory and
proxy URL in the WEB-INF/web.xml file:
https://docs.geoserver.org/master/en/user/datadirectory/setting.html#context-parameter

Similarly, we use ENV_PROPERTIES to parameterise various
${authkey_provider_url}, etc
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/datadirectory/configtemplate.html

This way, the configuration files for various environments can be identical.

(We also previously made use of the jdbcstore/jdbcconfig extensions which
store the above XML file contents in database tables, but we found that it
was less accessible and didn't really work for us.)

However, perhaps you want to take a new configuration live but you have a
new workspace/layer/style in dev that mustn't go live yet.  How do you
exclude it?  Because the configuration is all just XML files, they can be
treated and manipulated as source code, perhaps using Git branches and
Merge Requests.  Does anyone do this?  If not, why not?

What other ways have you found to manage your various GeoServer
configurations?

Thank you

Peter