From: Peter Smythe <g...@smythe.co.za>
Sent: Freitag, 12. August 2022 17:01
To: GeoServer Mailing List List <geoserver-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Geoserver-users] Copying GeoServer configurations between various
environments (dev -> staging -> prod)

Hi all GeoServer admin users

I wonder if I can poll you to find out how you manage or copy your GeoServer
configurations between various environments like dev -> staging -> production?

We make use of JNDI to extract the database credentials out of the GeoServer
data directory and into the Tomcat container.

https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/database/jndi.html

We can make use of setting certain parameters like the data directory and proxy
URL in the WEB-INF/web.xml file:
https://docs.geoserver.org/master/en/user/datadirectory/setting.html#context-parameter

Similarly, we use ENV_PROPERTIES to parameterise various
${authkey_provider_url}, etc
https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/datadirectory/configtemplate.html

This way, the configuration files for various environments can be identical.

(We also previously made use of the jdbcstore/jdbcconfig extensions which store
the above XML file contents in database tables, but we found that it was less
accessible and didn't really work for us.)

However, perhaps you want to take a new configuration live but you have a new
workspace/layer/style in dev that mustn't go live yet.  How do you exclude it?
Because the configuration is all just XML files, they can be treated and
manipulated as source code, perhaps using Git branches and Merge Requests.
Does anyone do this?  If not, why not?

What other ways have you found to manage your various GeoServer configurations?

Thank you

Peter