Bryce,

Very good post. How do you keep track of all those ISO standards?
(People wonder why I'm not "enthralled" about the process.) :]

Bryce wrote: "I presume you would like to build linear referencing
functionality on top of the 19107 geometric objects."

Not quite. I want to build linear referencing on top of JTS, but if I
can do it in a way that will allow for the use of other geometry
libraries I'm open to that. I need a LinearGeometry interface for this
even if I'm just using JTS, so I might as well try to accomodate.

Byrce wrote: "W.r.t. the above: in the nomenclature of 19107, all
geometries with 1
topological dimension are called "curves".  For clarity's sake, could you
provide an example of a type of 1D geometry which is not a curve?"

I'm afriad that I don't really understand this question. I'm not
really a computer science guy, or even a mathematician. Just a
surveyor. :]

Bryce wrote: "Secondly, there is a separate notion of "linear
referencing" which is
beginning to be fleshed out.  Here's a synopsis of the activity in ISO from
http://www.isotc211.org/pow.htm.  I gather you're not enthralled with the
standard's development processes, but are open to using standards which
currently exist.  See below for which are published and which are still
under development."

This would probably interest me. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
In particular ISO 19148  sounds like what I want to implement.

Do I need to pay for these ISO standards, or are they available
online? Do you have to purchase them after they are no longer in draft
form? :[

Thanks for the informative post.

The Sunburned Surveyor