Thanks Adrian.

Will I find the test code in the GeoTools SVN?

I've been digging around some more and I think I'm on the right trail.
The CRS.findMathTransform method led me to the
CoordinateOperationFactory interface.

I'm guessing that a Plug-In like the EPSG WKT Wiki mentioned in the
Referencing Wiki implements this interface and actually contains the
logic for the transformation. So I probably need to look there for the
actual code in the CoordinateOperationFactory that generates the
CoordinateOperation that is wrapped to the MathTransform and delivered
to the CRS class.

I hope I have this all correct.

The Sunburned Surveyor

P.S. - I'm wondering where I might find the code for the ESPG WKT
Plug-In. I didn't see it in the referencing module of the SVN.