Interesting, I didn't realize that org.geotools.tile exists.

It might be really good to reconcile the implementation in geotools with what Arne's done in GeoWebCache, so we can reuse code. All our work we like to get in geotools if there's the potential for wider reuse, but I wasn't aware there was already work done on this. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to reuse everything, but it'd be nice to at least use the same code to access alternate tile servers. Also note that we've got 'metaTiling' code in GeoWebCache, leveraging JAI, which can make for some nicer looking tiles. Arne should be able to tell you more and figure out how best to collaborate.

best regards,

Chris

Jody Garnett wrote:
Sounds good, I am the module maintainer for unsupported/tile if you have any questions please ask.

You should find the code base organized to allow:
- alternate TileCache implementations to be substituted (although perhaps we need to make a plug-in mechanism?)
- additional "tile" servers

We may find it worthwhile to talk to the JAI Gurus on this list at a later stage - they could hook us up with the JAI Tile Cache etc...

In the broader scheme of things we should make a specific MapLayer implementation for the MapContext data structure and allow
the GeoTools renderer to make use of these services.

For my part I would like to make a implementation that talks to MapGuide Open Source; so GeoServer could hang out the front end and offer a good WMS implementations on top of it.

Jody
Hi everyone,

the module org.geotools.tile currently has an implementation for
accessing the NASA World Wind server and an implementation of a
SimpleTileCache, which caches only the result of the last query.

We would like to add support for WMS-C [1]. Server implementations are
available from MetaCarta [2] or from GeoWebCache [3].
Additionally we want to create at least two tile cache implementations
(MemoryTileCache and DiskTileCache). It should be possible to configure
the size of the cache (number of tiles to be cached) and to plug-in a
cache algorithm like Least Recently Used, Least Frequently Used, or
maybe Adaptive Replacement Cache. Caches can be used in a cache
hierarchy.

Are there currently and other activities in that area that we should be
aware of? Are there any ideas oder suggestions from you?

Regards,
  Holger

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WMS_Tiling_Client_Recommendation
[2] http://www.tilecache.org/
[3] http://geowebcache.org/

---
Holger Jaekel
phone: +49 (89) 121528-75       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
fax:   +49 (89) 121528-79       http://www.gaf.de
GAF AG     Arnulfstr. 197     80634 Muenchen     Germany

Vorstand: Dr. Peter Volk, Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Marcello Maranesi

Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 140 509, Firmensitz: Muenchen

!DSPAM:4005,47c8509a298961030819293!

begin:vcard
fn:Chris Holmes
n:Holmes;Chris
org:The Open Planning Project
adr:;;349 W. 12th Street, #3;New York;NY;10014;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Managing Director, Strategic Development
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://topp.openplans.org
version:2.1
end:vcard