If I remember correctly, geotools.tile was either added about mid-way
through my project, or I only found about it then.  By that point, I
had bits of JTileCache already written, and was reluctant to switch
over.  In retrospect, I shouldn't have been that short-sighted.

Another reusability area is generic caching-- in an ideal world, all
the Java caching libraries would provide a java.util.Map interface,
and everything would be perfectly reusable.  But, most of them don't
offer any sort of standard interface.  Plus, there is some need to
have a larger cache interface for operations such as setting expire
times, gathering performance statistics, and so on.  This is a problem
that I would like to see addressed at a larger level-- something like
the Commons Logging equivalent for caching.  Apache Commons  contains
a cache project, but it is dormant.

Out of curiosity, are you looking to use the persistent HashTable for
GeoWebCache?  (If so, I'm not sure I that follow.)

-- Chris Whitney