On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 07:21 -0400, Jody Garnett wrote:
> johann sorel wrote:
> > We are using a JaxB solution.
> >
> That better be in your own code base then; you can make use of the
> plug-in system to use your own implementation of the style objects.
> StyleFactory at least is ready for you to swap implementations in and out.
>
> We have the need to make SLD1.0 and SE1.1 documents for the library; and
> as far as I know JAXB bindings are for life. You can correct me if I am
> wrong on this one ... Now we let JAXB slide for metadata because you
> guys were on a deadline; but it is not a solution that fits in with what
> this library is for. Please try again...
>
> Jody

Hey Jody,

This is a surprising email from you, unusually full of stop energy.

Could you explain why JAXB annotations are not a solution that fits in
with what GeoTools is for? I know you have hesitations that perhaps that
family of annotations is not mature enough for all future needs but that
seems very vague a notion to stop people from writing the code they wish
to write. So no, we can't merely say no because it's an easy word to
use.

What we could do would be to construct a series of serious technical
arguments or worries which could each be assessed on their merit. So
what are your concerns? Does JAXB prevent you from working in some way?
Does it stop your parser from working? I know nothing about this one way
or the other so can't help you construct such a list. We cannot however
resolve anything if we can't define it.

You are busy this week so perhaps you cannot do this now but 'just say
no' has not been part of this project for the past decade so there is no
reason to start now.

--adrian