Hi all,

I was just very pleased to find that the user guide's page on shapefile loading
has been updated to reflect the new GT2.5 specific features. I find this page
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/04+How+to+Read+a+Shapefile) is really
useful for beginners to see that GeoTools is easy to use for easy things.

What I would add to the explainations is the different levels of data
retrievel/processing. I can imagine a new user would question: What is the
difference between
- DataStore,
- FeatureSource/FeatureStore/FeatureLocking and
- FeatureCollection?

My understanding (from the JavaDoc and the proposal page) is that DataStore is
the old and FeatureSouce (and friends) the new interface for data discovery
while FeatureCollection is used within the application to work with the data,
f.e. it serves as a data model for one map layer.

I just think this is worth a note on this page.

---

My second question on this topic is: The gt-shapefile module declares
velocity-1.4.jar and velocity-dep-1.4.jar as dependencies. This is reflected by
the image on the user guide page.

However I seem unable to find where this dependency is actually used (I
searched the source files for "velocity" both in Explorer and in Eclipse) and
didn't find a single match.) Also the code example given runs smoothly without
this dependency.

So: Is velocity actually required to read and/or write shapefiles? If not, can
the dependency be removed or is there another specific reason it is declared?

--
Matthias Basler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]