Okay I will give that a go .... after removing velocity I have:
> Used undeclared dependencies found:
>    org.geotools:gt-api:jar:2.6-SNAPSHOT:compile
>    org.opengis:geoapi:jar:2.2-SNAPSHOT:compile
>    com.vividsolutions:jts:jar:1.9:compile
>    org.geotools:gt-metadata:jar:2.6-SNAPSHOT:compile
> Unused declared dependencies found:
>    javax.media:jai_core:jar:1.1.3:provided
>    org.geotools:gt-epsg-hsql:jar:2.6-SNAPSHOT:test

Removing velocity from the pom.xml on trunk; I am not working on 2.5.x
at work ... hopefully another developer can pick up the change.

Another comment here - I find the tutorials listing the version number
again and again to be a bit of a pain; would adding the following at the
top of the first project example be okay for people?
> <properties>
>     <geotools.version>2.5-RC2</geotools.version>
> </properties>
And then we could do things like:
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.geotools</groupId>
>       <artifactId>gt-shapefile</artifactId>
>       <version>${geotools.version}</version>
>     </dependency>
Or would it just limit everyones ability to cut and paste dependencies
into their existing projects....

Jody