I was able to recover by sneaking up on the problem ...
1. Branched 2.5-M2 to 2.5-fix
2. Check to see that it was not using any geoapi SNAPSHOT - it was using
2.2-M0 (whew!)
3. Performed a reverse merge to rollback to needed revision:
    svn merge -rHEAD:30107
4. I am unsure if I can change the pom.xml to depend on 2.2-M0 .. we
will see how I go.

Jody