Ben Caradoc-Davies ha scritto:
> As you are no doubt aware, I have been attempting to port GeoTools 2.4.x
> community-schemas-ds to trunk. The purpose of this port is to make use
> of GeoAPI 2.2 and its implementations in gt-main, so as to better
> support complex features. The intent is to get rid of the nasty adapters
> used in community-schemas-ds to smuggle ISO features in the old gt2
> feature model, and use the clean opengis Feature API (GeoAPI). This
> requires consistent use of the opengis API throughout.
>
> It appears to me that GML3 (gt-xsd-gml3) on trunk is very similar to
> that on 2.4.x, and that the migration from 2.4.x to trunk of GML3
> largely consisted of changing the binding of features from the old gt2
> Feature to opengis SimpleFeature (not opengis Feature). For example
> AbstractFeatureTypeBinding has getType, parse, and encode that all
> operate on SimpleFeature. I can find no mention of opengis Feature in
> GML3 on trunk.
>
> (1) Am I correct in my understanding that GML3 on trunk has no support
> for opengis Feature, and is implemented to bind purely to opengis
> SimpleFeature?

Yes, nothing in trunk is actually using Feature, everything, everywhere,
assumes you are still using SimpleFeature. The only difference is that
it should be easier to switch the code to just use Feature without
breaking the external API now.

> (2) If this is the case, is there any plan to support complex features
> in GML3 on trunk?

Not that I know of, at least it's not part of any OpenGeo short term
plan (to my knowledge at least). Whoever needs complex features will
have to provide the work needed to make the code actually supporting
them. I guess I'll have to tag in a little for basic damage control,
to make sure the changes to do kill performance when only simple
features are used, but that's as much as I can contribute for the
moment.

> I would welcome any suggestions as to how I might use GML3 on trunk to
> implement complex features.

Hum, this is something for Justin to tag in, not very familiar with the
xml parsing/encoding modules.
As far as wms rendering is concerned instead, I believe it's just a
matter of adding the proper property accessors for complex features,
so that the expression api can get out the property values when needed.
Actually a similar approach could be used for GML3 encoding, if properly
implemented it allows to use fast accessors for simple features and
slower but more comprehensive accessors for complex ones.

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org