Jody,

I have renamed the DataAccess proposal and now propose it as GSIP 31.
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/GSIP+31+-+Use+DataAccess+API

Note that the proposal is not specific to app-schema. It proposes
support for all DataAccess implementations.

I have also created a container Jira issue:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-2568

It is my intent that the work be incremental and preserve existing
behaviour wherever possible. In particular, we want to maintain the
existing performance and simplicity of DataStore/SimpleFeature.

Preliminary analysis (and some test implementations) suggest that
Catalog requires no changes. The initial work will comprise changes in
ResourcePool, (catalog) DataStoreInfo, and (catalog) FeatureTypeInfo,
their implementations and consumers. I will submit a patch.

Open questions:

- What is the future of the vfny DataStoreInfo and vfny FeatureTypeInfo
classes? These are @deprecated but widely used. Are these to be retained
or should they or their consumers be refactored?

- Should DataStoreFinder/DataAccessFinder be retained as separate
classes or merged? (Here we are drifting into GeoTools).

- Which service modules are to be migrated first? Do we have any volunteers?

Other classes that may require work are RetypingDataStore, FeatureTypes,
and GeoServerFeatureLocking. No doubt, as the implementation proceeds,
more opportunities for scope expansion will become apparent.  :-)

Tasks related to GSIP 31 should subtasks of GEOS-2568, to facilitate
communication.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining