Hi Ben: not much to add after the earlier discussion. I have update the page
(in particular the section on work) to cover the points about staffing that
were mentioned. This section is where more work is needed in this proposal;
previously you said "basically what gabriel has written above". I have tried
to make this more clear; but we should be specific if possible.

> - What is the future of the vfny DataStoreInfo and vfny FeatureTypeInfo
> classes? These are @deprecated but widely used. Are these to be retained or
> should they or their consumers be refactored?

I suspect they are not to be used for new development; and that there is no
plan to update their existing consumers.

> - Which service modules are to be migrated first? Do we have any
> volunteers?

I would recommend WMS as it has very little exposure to these issues; you
may have to go over the GeoTools renderer and make sure it is not
accidentally assuming SimpleFeature anywhere but other than that it should
be fine.

Cheers,