Hi all,
just to clarify.
Our goal, is to include gdal support via the imageio-ext plugin in the
build for next release as part of our plugins, and  this means
dragging some imageio-ext dependencies into the build.
Since there were questions about licenses we tried to map, with great
help from aaime, licensing info from all (most??) geotools
dependencies to clarify the situation.
I am going to add the module to build today to see if there are any
problems. For next release I will create a file (licenses.txt,
third-party.txt, whatever.txt?) that we can include in the files we
give away so that we sum the result of the license investigation and
we cope with the advertisement clause.

Notice that we have deployed the dependencies for the imageio-ext
plugin in various maven repo (release 1.0.1) and we have been careful
(or at least tried to be :-9 ) about excluding tests and the SPI
registration if the native dependencies are not around.
Anyway, if you have any problems, please report them and we'll fix them.

Simone.

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Owner - Software Engineer