I'm close to the end. The port of the EPSG factory is under progress and I'm at
last looking at the "Threaded EPSG factory" work which was done a few years
ago.
In the process I rewrote some piece of code in order to take advantage of the
java.util.concurrent package, which we were not allowed to use at the time the
threaded factories work was done. The Cache class in particular is now using
ConcurrentHashMap and BlockingQueue internally, which allow me to remove some
global locks that the previous ObjectCache still had, and maybe avoid some
holes
in usage of locks (I tested with 50 concurrent threads where each thread hits
the cache 10,000 time. In this context even tiny window of vulnerability cause
about 10 failures by run. I fixed the ones I found on geotidy). I'm also
removing code duplication that resulted from the cohabitation of this work with
the previous single-threaded factories.

        Martin