Jody I took a deeper look to Catalog interface and I got dazed and confused.

Again I agree on having a central repository interface but a redesign is not
a matter of adding some methods.

Some thoughts

1) I am missing the clean concept of namespace handling

2) It must be possible to write a Repository implementation acting as
adapter for the geoserver catalog (supporting the workspace concept, which I
think we could handle with 1). The same must be possibile for UDIG. The
interface implementation must be configurable externally, we need something
like a "RepositoryFactory".

3) Unlucky naming of methods, "source" as an example. You must look at the
source code to have an idea what this method is doing. Missing methods, how
to get a datastore with his name and namespace ?

4) No idea about the locking methods, I think nobody calls them, and btw, I
would delegate the locking to an
external locking manager. And why should a repository do locking at all ?

So, I think we would a least need

RepositoryInterface
RepositoryFactory
RepositoryImpl for geotools
RepositoryImpl for geoserver
RepositoryImpl for udig ?

This would be a real improvement but it would block me for weeks. I am
already blocked here because I want to finish
the feature-pregeneralized tutorial and ask for geoserver integration.

As a proposal, I would like to continue with the DataStoreLookup and mark it
depricated as soon we have implemented a cleanrepository concept.

christian