Yes it is a datastore, but the difference is

1) depends on no external format, only on the SimpleFeature stuff
2) Is acting like a "multiplexer" on a set of other datastores

So, I was not sure here, because there are no dependencies to other libs
other than geotools itself.

Anyways, I am waiting for your next answer and afterwards I will start the
move on 2.5.x and 2.6.x