-1 from my side for the geoserver base (2.6). The most common Websphere
installations are 6.x based on Java 5.

Is there a point in time where we plan to use 2.7.x for geoserver ?

We should support at at least 2 java versions, so I would wait until the
first app servers use java 7. At this point in time we could drop java 5
support.