I think you dont overstate the problem. A quick look on the ibm donload page
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html?S_TACT=105AGX02&S_CMP=
HP shows the same problem. You get all versions for ix systems. but only the
java runtime for windows. I remember that I tried to get an ibm windows sdk
and this was a little bit tricky (It is possible but I dont rember how to).

Anyway, supporting 2 java versions is a good idea, developing with the older
version und checking builds with the newer one.