Two years ago I have done something similar.

Fetching geometries from a database and transform them into SVG. The SVG
maps were displayed
in a browser. The proposed module would have helped a lot.

The nice thing with SVG is that you can design interactive maps for the
users, not only nice images.

On the other side, it is important for such a module to be configurable not
only for strike, color but also for "onclick" actions jumping to some java
script routine.

If you plan to support interactive maps too, then IMHO, a big +1.