Sounds great :-)

Do you have any questions on where to start?

Question for you - does InGeo support JDBC? Or does it have a custom API like
ArcSDE?

Depending on your answer I will try and direct you to good example to learn
from :-)

Thoughts:
- There is an old "datastore" tutorial that goes over some basics; using a
class called AbstractDataStore.
-  The class you should be extending these days is called ContentDataStore, and
the best example is all the JDBC based datastores in use at the moment

Depending on how you like to do things you may wish to review the geotools
developers guide; ask questions about the procedures; and then apply for an
"unsupported" module for your work. I am afraid that many of the core
developers do not have a InGeo server to work against; but we can try and
answer questions.

Jody