The underlying problem is that for complex features, the target GML
version is determined by the target schema, which is chosen by the data
provider and not the client. For example, a GeoSciML 2.0 feature type
*must* be delivered in GML 3.1.1, while a GeoSciML 3.0 feature type
*must* be delivered in GML 3.2.1. The client cannot request a different
format.

GeoServer currently assumes that output format is orthogonal to data
source. This does not hold for complex features.

It seems to me that it would be rather useful if a DataAccess could
notify the catalog (FeatureTypeInfo) of the preferred/supported/required
output format. I know WFS 1.1.1 is required to default to GML 3.1.1, but
WFS 2.0 lists this restriction and opens the door to better
communication between the DataAccess and the dispatcher in selecting an
OutputFormat. A similar approach may be useful for WMS GetFeatureInfo.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineering Team Leader