http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
http://twitter.com/simogeo

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM,  <christian.muel...@nvoe.at> wrote:
> Short result of my weekend investigations.
>
> Successful integration stopped at the CatalogBuilder, GranuleDescripter,....
> This architecture seems not well fitted for jdbc databases since it
> will cause a lot of unnecessary IO.
>
> First, I have to load the the set of granule descriptors and
> afterwards, fetch BLOB data for each granule.
>
> Number of Select statements = number of granules + 1.

Going by memory, what the GranuleCatalog does is to load a set of
GranuleDescriptors (wrapping simple features). Therefore
it is posible to iterate over features, and then use them to compose a
mosaic; we do not really issue multiple select.
Even if the data is inside a BLOB it should still be possible to mark
that somehow (empty location??) and read the image from the blog
itself.

I believe we need to somehow push all the logic to choose overview
level and subsampling within the GranuleCatalog and have your code
implement that interface/class.

> The current imagemosaic JDBC module does the following:
>
> Input for  raster data fetching
>
> 1) level
> 2) bbox
>
> Statement:
>
> select location,minx,miny,maxx,maxy,rasterdata from levelTable where
> bbox intersects geom.
>
> Result
> A set of georeferenced images. This set is the basis for mosaicking,
> cropping and scaling.
>
> We have exactly one statement. This is also possible using jdbc-ng
> SimpleFeatureTypes since BLOBs are supported.
>
> As a consequence, the module must be able to work with a set of
> features,each feature containing minx,miny,maxx,maxy and rasterdata.
> Unfortunately, I have not found a simple solution.

I will ask andrea and daniele to investigate as well and see what they
come up with.

> We should not forget our special friend Oracle Georaster.
> Mosaicking,cropping and scaling is done in the database itself.

Well, this would require a custom MosaicBuilder that does it all at
the DB level.

Let's keep on brainstorming on this.
Aside, can you point us towards the (extensive :) ) doc for your
module so that we are all on the same line.