Ciao Christian,
assumig this work will proceed on trunk, I strongly suggest we take
the opportunity to merge the various imagemosaic/imagepyramid plugins
into a single one where we have multiple backends to pull tiles
but still one single plugin that does the heavy lifting (background
color, foreground color, footprint and so on) so that we close the
loop we opened when the imagemosaic-jdbc started.
One additional thing, imagemosaic already support TimeSeries therefore
with the merge we could improve this support, which is btw reflected
in GeoServer.
Long story short, I am keen to provide resources & probably funding
for doing this, assuming we find an agreed way forward.

Do you think we can have a quick meeting on skype/irc early next week?

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.