That is another question based on volunteer time :-)

>From my standpoint GeoTools 8.x has met its goals (documentation and gt-swing)
>and we probably should of released prior to this wfs2 work coming in. Given
>that we missed that window I expect we will need to wait for the wfs2 work to
>settle.

The uDig project is releasing against the milestone releases presently (indeed
that pretty much defines when a milestone release is made).

Please note the project is open; so if you needed 8.0 released for your work
the release procedure is there and you can jump on geotools-devel and follow it
to make a release. It is a bit slow the first time as you need to sign up for a
few things; but we do welcome volunteers.