On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM, <christian.muel...@nvoe.at> wrote:

> Oh yes, I know the problem. Creating a db2 data store without a schema
> lists a ton of tables including the whole system catalog.

You know you can setup table name filters in the sql dialect?
That's how we hide most of the system tables in Oracle for example.

> I would prefer a more precise solution, but I am not sure if it is
> possible.
>
> 1) We always use schema.table, because this it the unique name, comparable
> to a java class name including the package name.

This may backwards compatibility issues, what happens when someone using
uDig, GeoServer or another
application that mantains a configuration of its own referencing the old
name?
But I otherwise like the direction.

> 2) If a data store has a schema specified, we use the schema name only as
> a filter for presenting tables/views to the user.

Ok

> 3) For already existing features using a table name without schema, we
> should complete the name when reading the configuration file. Future
> features should always use schema.table.

How do we complete the name? All applications should have to roll new code
to handle the switch? This would be really annoying towards users.
That's why I was suggesting to be lenient, if we get a non qualified name
try to match it
internally to a qualified one

Another possiblity would be to have a configuration flag specifying whether
to use qualified
or unqualified names

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.