I see now what the problem was: the Z coordinate is indeed populated, but it is not outputted by WTKWriter. Which is a problem for WFS.

On 30/05/12 23:40, Martin Davis wrote:
The JTS WKTReader does respect Z ordinates in WKT, and will populate the Z field in the Coordinate objects created. This works for all geometries.

However, the WKTReader does not (yet) handle the new(ish) POINT Z (...) syntax (or the M syntax, for that matter).