On Saturday, 8 September 2012 at 10:35 AM, Michael Bedward wrote:
> On 8 September 2012 04:15, Frank Gasdorf <fg...@users.sourceforge.net
> (mailto:fg...@users.sourceforge.net)> wrote:
> > Just to clarify what's going on:
> >
> > - it seems to me that prior 9-SNAPSHOT all deployments were done with
> > maven versions < 3.x
> >

> Hi,
>
> The issue was time-stamped artifacts with Maven 3 was discussed on the
> dev list a while ago. At that time Justin suggested using a cron job
> to un-stamp (?) them...
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Proposal-to-update-to-Maven-3-tp4268145p4268180.html
>
> Michael
Yeah something is a pain here - and what is most annoying is that if you ever
build geotools locally you get back to versions saying SNAPSHOT :(

uDig did try using the "stripVersions" instruction in the past; and the result
was a mess with developers not quite knowing what version of jars they were
working with … on anything! (Since dependencies
also get their version numbers removed).

I may make an ant script to rename the jars after they are fetched as a
workaround; do we have any indication of why this functionality was changed in
maven? And if this is just
a bug with the copy dependences plugin?