Niels, that is a very good point. Andrea, there is a bunch of XSD stuff
like substitution groups that are not represented in GeoAPI. It makes it
quite tricky to break this dependency. Niels knows because he
implemented a lot of it.

As future work, we could look at refactoring the way XSD information is
handled in complex types. Perhaps we would be better off moving towards
that goal one step at a time?

Andrea, would it be OK to accept the dependencies listed by Niels? They
will not prevent non-XML uses. Future refactoring could make this
optional, and client code could (for example) inject an XML provider. I
do not know if Niels is in a position to implement such a large
refactoring at this time.

Kind regards,
Ben.

On 13/12/12 18:32, Niels Charlier wrote:
> The XPath processor takes XSD information out of the user data in order
> to evaluate xml @attributes. That is why it is dependant on it.
>
> On 12/13/2012 08:09 AM, Andrea Aime wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Niels Charlier <ni...@scitus.be
>> <mailto:ni...@scitus.be>> wrote:
>>
>>     Well apart from the feature type parser, there is another
>>     important part in the module that relies on xsd stuff, i.e. the
>>     xpath property accessor. This I think is a very important part of
>>     complex features; without this you can't have filters on complex
>>     features.
>>

>> An xpath processor is built into the jdk, there is no need to depend
>> on gt-xsd and friends to have it,
>> e.g.: http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/xpath_apis.html
>> Even if that requires some external library, it's hard to believe it
>> requires an entire xml parsing/encoding subsystem.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andrea
>>
>> --
>> ==