A little confused here... are we talking h2 or hsql? The pr doesn't seem to
touch h2 at all unless i am missing something.

Regardless i agree that any upgrade requiring a migration like this we need
to be careful of. I would say keep pegged to a version we know is safe but
also try to allow for users to manually upgrade if they want to.

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org