I had a look, but have a hesitation accepting a pull request when I am not in
position to test (against oracle for SYNONYM).

I have just finished my pre-flight checks for GeoTools, but would like to see
if we can get this in since you have asked so nicely. While we wait to see if
an active JDBC developer is in position to review I will start a build locally
to confirm your change "works for me".