Hi Andrea,

the quality parameter can be configured inside the application context for
the PNGEncoder inside the gwc-wms and gs-gwc modules. By setting for
example the quality parameter to 0.1 the image size is considerably reduced.

About the hints considerations I have used different hints for each
configuration, so I think that this similarity between speed and default
configuration could be associated to a similar hints behaviour.

Below are listed the hints for each configurations.

Speed:
KEY_COLOR_RENDERING = VALUE_COLOR_RENDER_SPEED;
KEY_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_ANTIALIAS_OFF;
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS = VALUE_FRACTIONALMETRICS_OFF;
KEY_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION = VALUE_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION_SPEED;
KEY_INTERPOLATION = VALUE_INTERPOLATION_NEAREST_NEIGHBOR;
KEY_RENDERING = VALUE_RENDER_SPEED;
KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_OFF;
KEY_STROKE_CONTROL = VALUE_STROKE_PURE;

Default:
KEY_COLOR_RENDERING = VALUE_COLOR_RENDER_DEFAULT;
KEY_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_ANTIALIAS_DEFAULT;
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS = VALUE_FRACTIONALMETRICS_DEFAULT;
KEY_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION =VALUE_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION_DEFAULT;
KEY_RENDERING = VALUE_RENDER_DEFAULT;
KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_DEFAULT;
KEY_STROKE_CONTROL = VALUE_STROKE_DEFAULT;

Quality:
KEY_COLOR_RENDERING = VALUE_COLOR_RENDER_QUALITY;
KEY_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON;
KEY_FRACTIONALMETRICS = VALUE_FRACTIONALMETRICS_ON;
KEY_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION = VALUE_ALPHA_INTERPOLATION_QUALITY;
KEY_INTERPOLATION = VALUE_INTERPOLATION_BILINEAR;
KEY_RENDERING = VALUE_RENDER_QUALITY;
KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING = VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_ON;
KEY_STROKE_CONTROL = VALUE_STROKE_NORMALIZE;

Cheers,
Nicola.

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Nicola Lagomarsini <
> nicola.lagomars...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm going to show some images for comparing the old wmsTileFuser class
>> and its modified version, both in *fullWMS* mode enabled.
>>
>> I made the *fullWMS* parameter configurable from the geowebcache.xml
>> file by adding the <fullWMS>TRUE(or FALSE)</fullWMS> field.
>>
>> I added the possibility for the user to change the image quality by
>> setting an additional WMS parameter called *hints*. The user can choose
>> one of the 3 following values: *speed*, *default*, *quality*.
>>
>> The first image represents the result of a WMS request on a vectorial
>> layer, in image/png format. The other 3 images represent the same WMS
>> request with the new WMS parameter.
>>
>> The second image value represents the result with the *speed* value
>> which takes minor time without any care about the quality.
>> The third image (*default* value selected) provides a better image
>> quality but requires more time than the *speed* configuration.
>> The last image with the *quality* value takes more time than the others
>> but the final image has the best quality between the 4 images.
>>
>> From the results, in fact, it is easy to note that the image created with
>> the *quality* hints has a better quality than that returned by the old
>> WMSTileFuser class.
>>
>> I hope this could help to review the pull requests.
>>
>> P.S. The images are too big to be sent by mail, I add the following links
>> for download:
>>
>> old wms request:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_H-B1p4qGi6VVgyVGJPYVV1c1hBMDMzakhPRTZlQTdzRFl3/edit?usp=sharing
>> new wms request with speed hints:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_H-B1p4qGi6MEhJR1NxTkV2Tnh0Y3Zza2JJdHNtY0RhZVN3/edit?usp=sharing
>> new wms request with default hints:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_H-B1p4qGi6bk5adnNYN2NjRUk/edit?usp=sharing
>> new wms request with quality hints:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_H-B1p4qGi6b1RTYktBSjBtYlpOdGdFS3NVWkVIb1Rzd3g4/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> Hi Nicola,
> I'm looking at the outputs, and finding something strange. The quality one
> is definitely much better, for sure, however:
> * the new images are ~20 times larger than the oldwms one (from 34kb to
> 758KB), something is wrong with the png compression parameters I suppose
> * I cannot see any difference, visually, between oldwms, new with speed,
> [...]

==
Our support, Your Success! Visit http://opensdi.geo-solutions.it for more
information.
==