Hi,
recently we tried to implement a WPS process to do paginated extraction of
sorted unique attribute values from features.

The approach was to apply a UniqueVisitor to a Query object with sortBy and
limits applied.
The problem with this approach is that the current semantic for such
implementation is:
 - first apply the sort and limits
 - then apply the visitor (in this case unique)

This is not the desired behaviour for us, we would need:
 - first apply the sort and unique
 - then apply the limits

Now my question is: is the current behaviour the desired semantic, or just
a constraint of the aggregation by visitor implementation for which the
visitor needs to be applied only after feature fetching has happened (apart
from cases like JDBC where the visitor can be implemented directly on the
database)?

Just to decide if we need to reimplement the process or we can try to
change the Geotools semantic.

Cheers,
Mauro

--