Hi,
I prepared a pull request for the subject:
https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/470

I used tha approach described in my last email.
As an additional note, I also added a preserveOrder flag to help pagination
be consistent.
With this flag the visitor set mantains the order in which items have been
inserted, so the elements are consistently ordered between each visitor
call.

Regards,
Mauro Bartolomeoli

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Mauro Bartolomeoli <
> mauro.bartolome...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> moving on on this, I tried the following approach:
>>  - created a new LimitingVisitor interface with getStartIndex and
>> getMaxFeatures methods, to be used by visitor aware stores
>>  - changed UniqueVisitor to implement this interface and added pagination
>> capabilities to the visitor if those two properties are defined (this will
>> handle stores that are not visitor aware)
>>  - made JDBCDataStore aware of LimitingVisitor, using it to get limits in
>> aggregated queries, if limits are defined in Visitor instead that in Query
>>
>> This way, the old behaviour is mantained if limits are defined in Query,
>> the new one (limits applied after aggregation) if they are defined in the
>> visitor.
>>
>> What do you think?
>> Can I move forward with it?
>>

> Seems a good approach to me, would be nice to hear from the other core
> devs (thinking Christian, Justin as jdbc module co-maintainer,
> and Jody since he designed the visitors in the first place, but of course
> anybody is warmly welcomed to provide feedback)
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> ==