Hi folks,

I have been looking at the solr data store that was developed recently and
I have a mandate to make some modifications to it. Before proceeding I
wanted to bounce the approach off of the group first.

First change I need is pretty simple, and it's to support the bounding box
field type. [1] Fields of this type are encoded differently than the other
existing spatial types, they are encoded as a 4 value tuple rather than
wkt. What I was thinking here was just to introduce a simple strategy
interface based on the field type. All in all a pretty straight forward
modification I think.

The second change is somewhat more involved. At the moment the
configuration of the datastore requires the user to specify a field that
groups documents in the index into logical layers. Unfortunately this
"mapping strategy" does't work with the types of indexes I am working with.
So what I would like to do is add an additional strategy. In my case I want
to serve up the entire index as a single layer (with potentially a few
parameters that would always be included in the filter query made to solr).

The approach i am thinking of is to add a "MappingStrategy" interface that
would encapsulate how documents in the index are mapped to features. Given
the unstructured nature of document storage in lucene I imagine this
interface could prove useful in order to support additional future mapping
strategies.

The exisitng mapping strategy would of course remain the default and while
I was planning to add a few additional data store parameters to control the
mapping configuration it will remain 100% backward compatible (important
for geoserver users who already have data store configurations out there).

That is about it. Let me know what you think about the approach :)

Thanks!

-Justin

[1]
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/trunk/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/schema/BBoxField.java