Rounding this one out I have thrown together some changes. First is this
pull request for the bbox type handling:

  https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/709

The second is the document mapping stuff. I didn't submit the pr yet since
the work is inclusive of the above pull request. So here is the diff
relative to the above:

https://github.com/jdeolive/geotools/compare/jdeolive:solr-bbox...solr-mapping

I am also going to update the geoserver docs to include the new stuff.

Thanks!

-Justin