Quite a coincidence, I've also been wrestling with axis order last week, and
also found that the documentation did not appear to be correct! The way I
expect it to work is for gt-epsg-wkt to be a drop in replacement for
gt-epsg-hsql, so no difference in axis order, I think it's confusing enough as
it is. The original reason I personally started to use the wkt version is a
dependency conflict with hsqldb, I also continued to use it because if I use
Geotools for instance on Hadoop, it sometimes creates a lot of short living
processes, and I don't want it to do this database setup. Also note that I
generally only use a couple of predefined reference systems, so there's no need
to have the full DB.

I would also suggest that we at least try to keep the axis order consistent if
you use the long form, as that is what most people in the OGC community are
doing. If a major implementation like geotools/geoserver starts to deviate from
this in certain implementations, than we're back to where we started in the
whole axis order mess.

best regards,
Jeroen

Jeroen Dries
TAP - Centre for Remote Sensing and Earth Observation Processes
VITO NV | Boeretang 200 | 2400 Mol
tel. +32 14 33 55 11 | jeroen.dr...@vito.be<mailto:voornaam.n...@vito.be>
[cid:image001.jpg@01CDCE3A.4E197A50]<http://www.vito.be/>[cid:image001.jpg@01CD3F0D.B57AA190]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/17947>[cid:image003.jpg@01CD3F0D.B57AA190]<http://twitter.com/#!/vitobelgium>[cid:image002.jpg@01CD3F0D.B57AA190]<https://www.facebook.com/VITObelgium>