Comments inline...

Note that for GML 3 the elements inherit the namespaces of the parent XML.
> I am not sure if this is desired?

I don't think so, expect we should output the XML as provided in the
database...

If you need to smuggle namespace/prefix information out of the database you
could store it as column metadata --> attribute user map --> output format

It would be more alarming if the XML fragment cites a prefix that we have
not defined as a namespace...